Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Orange Soufflé Served With Crème Anglais

Since its Easter Sunday or Domingo de Pascua, I thought it would be a fun and perfect recipe for the sweet treats is to cracked some eggs in the kitchen. I decided that I’d make a soufflés for Easter Sunday lunch. I'm gonna be honest it is my first time to make this luscious soft and airy dessert. I am so wary of attempting soufflés, which have the reputation of being difficult and temperamental it required techniques. I remember I pay for this souffle💰in expensive french restaurant in Taipei. And I'm so glad I did, I proved to myself that I could do it and say yes I can cooked French! Wasn't  difficult! The reality is that they are relatively easy to make is like your making a Salzburger nockerl. While I am peeking in the glass window of the oven. I’m pleased as they rose up perfectly, I was so excited. This souffle recipe is so easy, If I can do it so you can, just involves dedication on cooking.
Ingredients:
2 oranges, juice and zest
3 tbsp cognac
2 organic egg yolks
4 organic egg whites
3 tsp corn flour
1 tbsp plain flour
100ml whip cream 
100ml whole milk
6 tbsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
melted butter for greasing
refine white sugar
icing sugar for dusting
cream vanilla sauce
Preparation:
1. Take 4 ramekins and brush them completely with softened butter. Sprinkle some refine granulated sugar to each ramekins and turn them to coat the sides and bottom. So the soufflé doesn't stick to the dish. Shaking out any excess, set aside to chill in the fridge.
2. Put the cream, salt, plain flour and cornflour into a  saucepan and whisk to a smooth paste.

 3. Heat the milk in the microwave, but do not let it boil just steam. If you don't like using the microwave, just heat it up on the stove. Warm the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until just boiling, remove from the heat. Mix the hot milk into the cream flour mixture with the wooden spoon, spatula or balloon whisk. Add a little a time and mix well until the mixture is smooth like really thick cream. Press if any lumps to the side, then add and strain the orange juice, orange extract and cognac then whisk.

4.  Add the egg yolks whisking occasionally. Put the saucepan back on the stove to thicken again. Whisking constantly to a velvety texture. Transfer the custard mixture into a mixing bowl if you prefer. Let it cool into a body temperature. While cooling the custard mixture, preheat oven into 180°C.
5. When the custard mixture in the mixing bowl has cooled. It's time to whip or beat the egg whites. Place the egg whites in a large bowl using a hand whisk or electric mixer. Whisk and add the sugar as you are mixing, one spoonful at the time.
6. Keep whisking to give stiff, firm peaks to give volume to the meringue.
7. Add one large spoonful of the egg whites and mix well with the whisk or spatula to make the mixture less stiff. Add the orange zest and carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until well mixed.
8. Carefully spoon the mixture into prepared ramekins.
9. Run a thumb nail around the inside of the ramekins, this will help them to rise evenly.
10. Place the ramekins on the baking tray in the middle of the oven for about 15-20 minutes until risen and turning golden Don’t open the oven during cooking just watched them through the glass until they were done (The soufflés should be evenly risen and soft-pillowy inside..)
11. Take them out from the oven as soon as they’ve risen. Be careful, the ramekins are very hot. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with cream vanilla sauce.
12. I loved to  make a small slit in the middle of soufflé and fill it with cream vanilla sauce.